You should not take screenshots of the whole window or large components to verify the content.
Those screenshots are likely to break, because a Java update, Windows update, even Graphics Card driver update or simply different font antialiasing settings may break these tests.
In your case, the expected image is with font antialiasing, but the actual image is without it.
There are at least 4 settings (maybe even more) which influence antialiasing of fonts, the first three are user-dependent:
- system setting, at Windows called "ClearType": You can configure this via Windows Control Panel
- graphics card setting (depends on graphics card and driver where to find)
- Java setting via Java configuration (only applies for Java applications)
- Java setting via system property as part of the source-code of the application (only applies for Java applications)
Beside these settings, as already said, a simple system update may lead to different antialiasing results.
However, QF-Test provides tolerant image checks using different algorithms, c.f.:
Actually I really recommend to use functional checks instead of image checks to verify textual content, c.f.:
From: qftest-list-bounces@?.de [mailto:qftest-list-bounces@?.de] On Behalf Of Ismael, Sarah
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:04 AM
To: qftest@?.de; qftest-list@?.de
Cc: MSI ENGR
Subject: [QF-Test] Windows resolution issues
Hope this message finds you great! We’re recording our test cases on laptop/desktop machines and we faced a problem running those tests on virtual machines giving us error that images are not identical although they are but with different resolution. Although they ran successfully on different desktop machines and laptops. Kindly check the attached images for more clarification.
What can we do to overcome this resolution issue in our test cases to be able to run the pre-recorded test cases on different machines?
Get the most out of QF-Test - Support directly from the authors
* Training & consulting: www.qfs.de/en/qftest/training.html
* Phone & email support: www.qfs.de/en/qftest/support.html
Development & Support
T: +49 (0)8171 38648-20
F: +49 (0)8171 38648-16
Quality First Software GmbH | www.qfs.de
Tulpenstr. 41 | 82538 Geretsried | Germany
GF Gregor Schmid, Karlheinz Kellerer
HRB München 140833